10 May 2012

FU Money

A while back I started tucking a way a little account with some "emergency money".  I did it while going through a break up several years ago.  I didn't know what the apartment situation would be and it was in the midst of a financial crisis at work.  My stability was potentially really fragile, so I cut back on spending and started secretly saving.  The account grew slowlllly and by the time there was enough to actually help me out, I didn't need it anymore.  So, what to do? New laptop? Fun vacation? No, I'll just leave it. I'll pretend like it doesn't exist and just let it be there if I ever need it again.

Apparently, this is called fuck you money defined as: is the amount of money you need to be able to do anything you want to do, including (but not limited to) being able to say "fuck you" to anyone.  Fun stuff.

This goes along well with a belief in self empowerment and self reliance, in other words - I'm not going to sit around and whine, cry and complain, I'm going to take care of myself and if/when necessary I'll get myself out of a bad situation. It's a bad ass concept and I encourage you to get yourself one.


Let's take a look at how it works...

Scenario 1: Miserable job
You have a job you hate. After months of trying to fix things or find a new job, nothing has happened.  You're at the end of your rope. What's the solution? Leave.  Tap into your FU Account and bounce. (Note: behavior in video not recommended! I do not believe man in video actually had an FU Account, but it would have been good if he did).
Scenario 2: Bad relationship
Let's say you're in a failing relationship that's totally dragging you down and each day you feel the life being sucked out of you.  Maybe you're living together! Well, the FU Account is here to save the day! Leave - tomorrow. And get yourself in a better situation.
Scenario 3: Life sucks
Work is stressful, your family drives you crazy, your friends are all married and you're alone.  Easy solution --> cash in on the FU Account and go here:


How much should your FU Account be?  I recommend at minimum one month salary, even better if its 2 months. And just put the money away in an account and pretend like its not there.  And it will be there when you need it most.  Or maybe, you never need it. And that's great too, so take yourself on a vacation anyway. 

A short FU Account Inspirational story here



No comments:

Post a Comment